Monday 30 April 2012

The Row House- 1


 Perhaps there's a history to every place, and perhaps we just don't realize it yet. Below every house must be the earth whispering tales of the ones who bled into it, tales of the wishes they had and tales that still keep replaying itself ...irrespective of our presence.
                      I entered into a row house; it was the fourth of the set of houses we were checking out to move in. A bunch of us needed a place to crash at after our college and working hours and we were waiting for the place that would click the minute we saw it. But the row house did much more. As I went up the creaky stairs, the power went off and we were submerged in darkness. After a few seconds the generator thrummed to life and we could see again. It was pretty spacious, well furnished and in the back of our minds we thought it'll work. That was until we saw the terrace. Up on the terrace was another room but the scenery was worth it all...The hills rose behind the row house, and we all chattered like the evening birds. Talks on who will stay where and where will we do what convinced the owners that we were up for the deal. And the rate at which we will be renting it out... was a bargain? So it was done... our search ended there.
                     Since I was relatively jobless, I decided to get the keys made for the six of us so that everyone can shift in at their own pace. Once the keys were in my hand, something compelled me to run through the place once again. I knew that there wasn't going to be any second thought about the row house, but it was evening when we checked and my timid friend secretly voiced out that she smelt something weird up there. I wasn't the one to go with such opinions but there was no harm in checking... or was there?
The rooms were empty, and painting work was getting done. The owners were so kind as to let us have our pick with the colors for the walls and as I walked from room to room I was convinced that all the colors of the rainbow were present. Well, we all had different tastes. I said a hello to the workers and made my way up the three floors to the terrace again. The small room was still locked, and i fumbled with the set of keys to find the right one for the lock. I gave up after a while and hoisted myself up on the side walls to just sit and stare at the hills. There was something to them... tranquillity, a peace of mind and a beautiful story to be told.  I got down, held onto the railing and looked down below. And that was when all my peaceful thoughts came crashing down to one word....fear.

keep reading!! click here for the next page!

1 comment:

  1. pls m very eager to know what is gng to happen next i cant wait till tmrw so pls can update it today or mail it me on paralizedmonkey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete